Why environmental education is important.
These workshops are open to all formal and informal K- 5th educators, including parents, Scout Leaders, Camp Directors, Club Moderators, etc.
Workshop Date: Saturday, February 20, 2021
Time: 10am – 3pm (Arrive 10 minutes early to check in)
Location: LSU Center for River Studies The Water Campus at 100 Terrance Ave. Baton Rouge, LA 70802
Rocksey’s Toolbox, the name given to Keep Louisiana Beautiful’s environmental education program, is comprised of ten lesson plans, 20 activity sheets, and Student Standards matrix targeting elementary students in K-5th grades.
You will receive training, CEU credits, a $100 stipend, and the Rocksey Toolkit manual. Teachers must attend the entire workshop and fill out an invoice form to qualify for the stipend. Checks will be mailed directly to the teachers within 2 weeks of the workshop.
Space is limited to the first 25 teachers from K-5th grades who register.
Things to know:
- We will follow COVID-19 guidelines. Masks will be required. Seating will be 6ft. apart.
- Bring paper and pen to take notes.
- Bring a reusable water bottle.
- Snacks will be provided.
- Bring a sweater in case the room is cold.
- You may bring your lunch or leave to pick up lunch. (30 minute lunch break)
- Parking is available adjacent to the center on Arches Street as well as in the parking lot on Water Street.
- The workshop is limited to 25 teachers. If your schedule should change after you register and you are unable to attend the workshop please let us know so we can offer your slot to another teacher. Notify Alma Robichaux at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the spring of 2016, Louisiana Act 72 was signed into law, requiring that students in grades K-5 receive education about litter and its vast implications on our environment. Keep Louisiana Beautiful has created a K-5 environmental education lesson plans and activities that focus on litter, pollution, recycling, and environmental stewardship to protect our watershed and the Gulf. This curriculum is available for download below, complete with lesson plans, activity sheets, and student standards for both formal and informal educators (parents, troop leaders, etc.).