Greener Grounds Grant
For Louisiana's Large Outdoor Events
We all love to laissez les bons temps rouler, but we must ensure the waste inevitably created by outdoor events does not threaten our environment. Keeping your site clean not only enhances your attendee’s experience but stops the detrimental cycle of mismanaged waste becoming litter that will clog Louisiana’s storm drains or enter the waterways, an issue that will ultimately harm the state’s coastline, wildlife, and water quality.
Keep Louisiana Beautiful partnered with French Quarter Festivals, Inc. to create Greener Grounds Guidebook and Workbook to provide practical ways that you, as an event organizer, can plan to manage and reduce waste, increase recycling and prevent litter at your event. This grant supports the implementation of the best practices outlined in the guidebook.
This is a reimbursement grant for up to $8,000 depending on the size of the event. You will be required to complete the guidebook and workbook as part of the grant requirements.
Greener Grounds Guidebook and Workbook
- Not-for-profit large outdoor events such as festivals, fairs, concerts, and parades.
- Municipalities and Parishes that organize large-scale community special events.
- Outdoor events must be larger than 1,000 attendees.
- Events must be open to all Louisiana citizens to attend.
- The event must be located in Louisiana and must be held outdoors.
- The event must be held between October 2023 and May 2024.
The following are considered eligible grant expenses:
- Trash Receptacles – permanent or disposable
- Recycling Receptacles – Clear Stream, permanent or disposable
- Waste Station signage or banners
- Litter prevention signage or banners
- Litter prevention education to attendees
- Promotions strictly related to litter prevention, recycling, and waste reduction efforts at the event.
- T-shirts for volunteers working the Waste Stations and grant efforts. Not to exceed 10% of total grant budget.
- Water and food for volunteers working the Waste Stations and grant efforts. Not to exceed 10% of total grant budget.
- Litter removal supplies such as litter grabbers, shovels, and rakes.
The following are considered ineligible grant expenses:
- Rental of dumpsters, roll-offs, or other large solid waste and recycling containers.
- Expenses related to servicing the collection containers.
- Transportation, handling, and/or tipping fees associated with waste, recycling, and composting.
Terms and Requirements
If awarded a grant, your organization agrees to the following:
- Review the Greener Grounds Litter Prevention and Waste Reduction Manual
- Adopt litter prevention and waste reduction practices in your event. Examples include glass (back of house), plastic bottle and aluminum can recycling, composting, creation of Waste Stations with proper signage and maintenance schedule.
- Complete the Greener Grounds Workbook and upload it with your final report and reimbursement request.
- Sign a Cooperative Endeavor Agreement and abide by the approved grant budget. Changes to the budget must be pre-approved by KLB.
- Submit a completed final report that includes the completed Workbook, and reimbursement request on or before May 31, 2024.
- Submit a reimbursement request form with copies of receipts and proof of payment for all grant expenses. Reimbursements require proper documentation.
- Send your state house of representative and senator a letter on your letterhead announcing your organization received a grant from KLB. A copy must be uploaded with the final report.
- Send a press release on your letterhead to the local media announcing that your organization received a KLB grant and will be adopting litter prevention and waste reduction practices. A copy must be uploaded with the final report.
- Include the KLB logo on all grant-related print materials, banners, t-shirts, signs and other marketing and promotional materials.
- Register and organize a cleanup during Love the Boot Week – April 20-28, 2024.
- Provide at least a 10% in-kind or cash match of the total amount funded.
- Failure to abide by the requirements and/or submit the completed final report and reimbursement form by May 31, 2024 will result in ineligibility during the next grant cycle.
- Application Deadline: September 22, 2023
- Award Selection and Notification: September 28, 2023
- Mandatory Virtual Meeting for all grant awardees: October 4, 2023 at 8 a.m. or 4 p.m.
- Cooperative Endeavor Agreement Signed. Grant period begins: October, 2023
- Final grant reports and reimbursement requests due on or before May 31, 2024
- Grant Period Ends May 31, 2024