Keep Louisiana Beautiful Annual State Conference, Oct. 11-12, to Highlight Louisiana’s Plans for Tackling its Litter Problem
BATON ROUGE, La. – Keep Louisiana Beautiful (KLB) will host its annual State Conference Oct. 11-12 at Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center, welcoming all to attend to learn about the eight recommendations made by the Governor’s Task Force on Statewide Litter Abatement and Beautification to improve the state’s litter problem.
Day one speakers and topics include:
- Keynote: Lieutenant Governor Billy Nungesser
- Overview of Task Force on Statewide Litter Abatement and Beautification by Susan Russell, Executive Director of KLB
- Litter Study: Looking at Litter in Louisiana by Dr. Cecile Carson, CD Carson Consulting
- Recognizing the Premier Class of KLB University Affiliates with Dr. James Henderson, President of University of Louisiana System
- Improving Waste Management at Festivals by Andrew Woodruff, Operations Director, and Kenneth Spears, Food and Beverage Director, French Quarter Festivals, Inc.
- KLB University Affiliate Panel moderated by Dr. Cecile Carson, CD Carson Consulting
- Pennsylvania’s Litter Action Plan and the Role of Enforcement | Shannon Reiter, President of Keep Pennsylvania Beautiful
- Expanding Litter Enforcement Efforts by Rick Moore, State Litter Enforcement Director
- Operation Neaux Throw – Reducing Litter in Lafayette Parish by Bess Foret, Environmental Quality Manager at Lafayette Consolidated Government
Day two speakers and topics include:
- Keynote: Jennifer Lawson, President and CEO of Keep America Beautiful
- Recycling in Louisiana by Craig Wittig, Director of Grant Implementation, The Recycling Partnership
- EPA Grant Opportunities: Learn How to Secure Funds for Local Recycling by Renee Bellew, UST and Pollution Prevention Section, Land, Chemical and Redevelopment Division, EPA
- Capturing and Removing Litter in Louisiana’s Waterways by Don Bates, Owner and Founder of Osprey Initiatives, and Amanda Takacs, Assistant Director, Natural Resource Management/P&E, BREC
- Reducing Litter on State Highways by Secretary Shawn Wilson, DOTD
- New Beautification Grants Available: Funding Native Plants and Trees in Your Community by Susan Russell, KLB Executive Director
- Beautification in Louisiana’s State Parks: Impacting Tourism and Residents’ Quality of Life by Brandon Burris, Assistant Secretary, Louisiana State Parks
“KLB was proud to serve in an administrative role on the Task Force and provide our expertise on litter abatement and beautification,” says Susan Russell, Executive Director of KLB. “We have a long road ahead of us, but the support from state leadership and the public for cleaning up Louisiana is greater than ever before. We will take a deep dive into the Task Force’s recommendations for tackling litter at the conference, and I invite all to join us at this very important forum for conversation and progress.”
The conference will conclude on Oct. 12 with the Everyday Hero Awards luncheon honoring individuals, businesses, and non-profits going above and beyond to help their communities be litter-free and beautiful. Everyday Hero nominations must be submitted at keeplouisianabeautiful.org by Aug. 31.
Conference registration is open to all. In attendance will be Keep America Beautiful Affiliates, universities, state and local government agencies, and non-profit organizations. Registration and hotel information is available at keeplouisianabeautiful.org.
Keep Louisiana Beautiful
Keep Louisiana Beautiful is the state’s anti‐litter and community improvement organization focused on education, enforcement, awareness, and cleanups. Affiliated with Keep America Beautiful, Keep Louisiana Beautiful’s mission is to promote personal, corporate, and community responsibility for a clean and beautiful Louisiana. Keep Louisiana Beautiful is comprised of a network of 40 Community Affiliates and seven University Affiliates – all located throughout the state. For more information, visit keeplouisianabeautiful.org.